Tuesday 21 February 2012

The Shoe is on the other foot

Now it's my turn. I had the opportunity to apply for a position with the eWomen Network in my city.

Soon after I received an invitation to attend the Toronto event for the eWomen Network which over a
hundred women were invited. I was so excited to attend but the first thought came to mind was not
how many business cards I bring or what briefcase it was "What do I wear?"

I am a firm believer in making a first good impression. It's the whole package from your hair style,
make-up your choice of perfume and how current your style is. I feel I did well and met some
amazing women entrepreneurs. My goal was to be myself smile and engage in conversation with others.
 I kept good eye contact and stayed away from the appetizer table even though I was starving.

You might be wondering so what is the problem? There wasn't.  Even though I am an image expert for entrepreneurs I get nervous and intimidated too in how I present myself. I've had an interview and
 the recruiter shared that she wanted to see a picture of me. We talked over the phone but yet she felt it was important to have a visual of my appearance. My impression that I left with the ladies in Toronto is making the decision whether I will have the position. It's the reality. Yes my work experience is a factor but if I hadn't taken the time and effort to put my best foot forward what kind of impression could I have left?

People assume and come up with their own conclusions. It's unfortunate but it's true. Do you make the time and effort in putting yourself together? Are you in such a hurry you throw something on and hope your skills win people over? Make the decision to try harder re-evaluate your wardrobe.

 Are the clothes you currently own sending the right message? If not it's time for a change.

2 comments:

  1. I bet you made an excellent first impression Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still determined to not have to wear much make up :) I guess I'm a bit of a rebel that way :) Thanks to you I have an amazing wardrobe I can feel good about wearing!

    ReplyDelete